For the next two weeks in PE we will be doing our hockey unit. For the first week we will be working on skill development through hockey stations.
1. Goalie shoot-out
2. Hot potato passing
3. Hockey bowling (shooting)
4. Forehand/ backhand passing
These stations are designed to give maximum activity and practice time before our modified games next week. My biggest emphasis will be on safety and keeping the stick below their knees. I will also be stressing proper grip and practicing puck control.
During week two we will play some small sided hockey games such as battleship hockey, and horse hockey. Older kids may get to play sideline hockey if their skill level permits other wise small sided games will be repeated. During these two weeks in PE I will be looking to meet NM State PE standard # 1. All students will be assessed on proper grip and dribbling control.
This week in PE we are working on our volleyball skills. We will have four stations set up around the gym that work on the basics of volleyball.
1. Underhand Serve- Students will be practicing serving underhand to a partner on the other side of the net. Younger students will use modified equipment and will not go over the net.
2. Bump- A student will underhand throw to their partner while the other student bumps it back. After five attempts students switch roles.
3. Setting- At this station student will practice setting using a beach volleyball against the wall.
4. 4 Square Volleyball- All the same rules as four square except the server must use an underhand serve to start and every hit after must be a bump with two hands instead of just using one.
If class progress at a high skill level, two small sided games of beach volleyball will be played with remaining 10 minutes.